Wednesday, September 9, 2009

6 month post, already!!!

I can't believe Elijah is a half year old already. It just doesn't seem possible. I will have to post pictures later because my camera battery died and is charging up.

He has been doing so much lately. He started crawling a couple of weeks ago, which just blows my mind. It can go anywhere he wants with no problems. It is so hard to keep the floor clean of little stuff with Faith and Samantha around so I'm constantly on the lookout. He is also pulling to a sitting position by himself from his tummy. He will just sit there until he is ready to move onto something else. He isn't saying anything with syllables yes, is just still cooing. If I remember right I believe the girls were that way too. They were really quick with the motor skills and just a little bit slower on the verbal skills. From what I understand that's usually the way they are. They will zoom through on one and will take a little longer on the other.

I just started him on solids last Monday. He had cereal all last week and then we started green beans yesterday. He loves them and gobbled it right up. And yeah, I have always waited until right at 6 months until I start solids. There really is no other reason except that I don't like changing routines. Adding solids makes me change the whole eating routine and trying to figure out what works in regards to how much formula he gets. What can I say, I'm lazy and I don't like change!

He sleeps from usually about 8:30 to 4:30. Then he gets a bottle and then will be back to sleep until about 7:30. I wasn't sure if he was waking up at 4:30-5:00 out of habit or because he really was hungry and so I checked with the doctor, just to be sure. She said more than likely he really is hungry since it has been about 8 hours since he ate. I just wanted to be sure because I don't want him waking up just out of habit thinking he gets to eat when he really isn't hungry.

95% of the time he gets put down in his crib awake and will fall asleep on his own. Most of the time he will fight it if we are holding him but if he gets put down he will go to sleep. Such a nice change from when Faith was a baby! He just gets his pacifier, his blanket, and he is good to go. He absolutely loves his blankie. And I know what you are thinking...a blanket...nooooooo, they aren't suppose to sleep with a blanket! I know, I know, but it is an afghan. There is absolutely no way he can suffocate in it. He loves slipping his fingers through it, pulling it up over his face, and going to sleep. Since he sleeps with it pulled over his head it is the only type of blanket I will let him sleep with.

His doctor appointment was today and he is now 17lbs, 15 oz and is 27 inches long. He is in the 50% for weight and 75% for height. I thought he would be in a higher percentile for weight because the boy is a little chunk. He has slimmed down a bit though since he started crawling. A lot of times when we are holding him he will just squirm like you wouldn't believe because he wants to get down and crawl around.

I have one huge huge grip about my peds office. The urgent care is right there next to the peds, it's just one big room basically. We were there today and there was a woman in a wheelchair because she was so sick, covered in a blanket, shaking, coughing (they finally came over and gave her a mask), and she was sitting right there in the peds section instead of over by urgent care. I was furious. One, they should have told her to move away from the peds section, two they should have had her in a room right away so they don't get others sick. They have the well-check kids off in a separate area but you still had to walk right by this lady to get to the front desk. One of the other women in the well check area was fuming mad too as she was in with her 1 week old. First off, why would you put urgent care right next to the peds, secondly, why would you have someone this sick just sitting right out in the open, where everyone had to walk right by. Just crazy!

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Great update!

I would have been fuming about that lady too! That is crazy that urgent care and peds are right by each other. There is definitely enough room in that building to change that! Or at least build a wall between the two!