Monday, February 1, 2010

Breaking friendships -definitely not on the fun list

I have been friends with this guy for the better part of 16 years. We met when we were freshman in high school and stayed in touch even after I moved to Texas just a few months later. He is one of the only people I have stayed in touch with. We just talk on the phone from time to time and drop notes here and there. We don't usually see each other though. I use to work out with his mom and keep in touch with his twin brother and his older sister. When he got out of the marines and was in the same town I was, I would go over to his parents house from time to time for game night. I never thought anything about it.

He just told me the other day that he just found out his wife had been cheating on him for some time. I had a feeling from the last time I talked to him though when he was saying she was going out at night a lot. In this same letter, in one sentence, made a comment about us that was completely inappropriate and made me really uncomfortable. I still haven't wrote him back, though I really need to, to address it. I got it on Saturday night, kept it to myself just to let it all soak in and try to figure out what I needed to do, and then on Sunday I shared this note with Chris. I felt it was something he needed to see. I then talked to him about what I thought was best, and he agreed. Though he did say he may not have meant it like I took it and to double check. I've known him for 16 years though. I 99.9% sure what he meant was was he wrote. And I told Chris I don't and won't feel comfortable at all in keeping our friendship up with what he shared with me.

I still have to figure out how to write it explain it all to him though. I'm shocked and hurt. 16 years is a long time to have to end a friendship.

0 comments: