Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The sickies

We are just full of the sickies here. Last weekend Faith came down with a cold. She wasn't too bad but was coughing for a few days. Then last Wednesday Samantha had a fever but nothing else. At nighttime she would cough, but during the day she was just sick with a fever. She still had a fever on Friday and so off to the doctor we went. Everything looked good with her, but since it is so hard to get a little child to breath in and out while the doctor checks their lungs, the doctor couldn't tell if she heard any rattling or not. So, off to x-ray we went. Samantha was really scared since I couldn't stay in there with her since I'm pregnant, but she could still see me behind the wall. She really listened to the guy and did exactly what he asked her to do. Then we walked back to the doctors office (can I just say I LOVE having this all in the same building!). The doc came in and said she had pneumonia but she didn't know if it was the contagious type. Luckily she seems to be doing much better. She was put on meds, her fever broke, which is when she would have been contagious, but she will have a cough for the next couple of weeks while it all breaks up.

Then, on Saturday Elijah got sick. He hasn't had a constant fever like Samantha did and so it seems as though it is just a nasty cold. His nose is like a faucet and he is really stopped up, just in the last few days he started with a bad cough. Since he isn't able to breath well he isn't sleeping well, AT ALL. With being coughed on, sneezed on, wiping everyone's noses 50 times a day, and then not getting any sleep taking care of Elijah I was just waiting for it to hit me. Since I'm pregnant I couldn't take any precautionary meds like I normally would (can I just say I absolutely LOVE Cold-Ez. Man does that stuff work good to shorten a cold, and it's just like a cough drop). Yesterday it finally hit me. I woke up and it felt like someone was sitting on my chest. As the day went on, I started coughing more, and then my whole body started to ache. I have had a fever but luckily it has been a really low-grade one. Still, it's hard to take are of kiddos, 1 still being really sick, when you are feeling like poo yourself. All I wanted to do was get some rest last night, but alas Elijah wasn't sleeping well and I was up most of the night with him.

Since Chris knows I would never ask him to stay home from school, he made sure to tell me to let me know if I needed him home, that it would be all right, and to not push myself. I'm doing so-so right now so I told him to go ahead and go but I'm guessing as the day goes on the worse I will get again as I start getting wore out. I told him I would probably give him a call sometime today then and have him come home, as much as I hate to do that.

So, needless to say it's been a fun week. Usually the kids will pick up a cold here and there but they are generally very healthy kids. In fact, when I brought Sam to the ped we have have been using since Elijah was born, they hadn't ever seen her. And that's been over a year. I think the last time she was at the doctor was for a well check visit when she was 18 months, since she turned 2 right after Elijah was born. Faith hasn't been in to see her either and I don't remember the last time I've had to bring her in to a doctor for being sick. I am definitely very fortunate! Once everyone gets better I'm going to be bring Faith and Samantha in for well-checks though. I didn't want to bring Faith in right when she turned 4 because all of the flu stuff going around over the winter. I knew she wouldn't need shots and so I thought we would put it off until this spring.

0 comments: