Thursday, August 27, 2009

The 3 H's

What are the 3 H's you ask? Well, right now they are Homeschooling, Homesteading, and Homemaking. Ok, homesteading and homemaking are kind of the same, just not really. These are just some things I have been working on lately.

Have you heard of the term homesteading? The "modern" term I guess you can say, not the 1800's type of homesteading. I had a thought that I would try to start making my own laundry soap. I've heard great things about it and it will save a ton of money, seeing as how we are always doing laundry now. So I went online and was pulling up some different ways to make it and I ran across some Christian Homemaking websites and thus ran across some homesteading websites. Apparently it is a lifestyle in which you choose to live a life of self-sufficiency. There were so many things that were appealing to me, just doing things on your own. Now I don't think I could COMPLETELY live this way, but I would love to eventually incorporate some of these things into our life. Of course, after Chris graduates and we are no longer living in an apartment. I didn't even know there was a term for it, but there were a lot of good blogs about it. Which then got my mind reeling on something else...

Christian homemaking. Through reading some of these wonderful women's blogs I have really been able to get a better light on how I should be handling our household. Especially since I'm not really working any more. It also gave me some great, healthy recipies that I have been incorporating into our breakfast and dinners. I have started making whole wheat bread, although my first batch didn't go quite so good. Turns out somehow the oven got turned off and so after an hour I took it out of the oven and it completley fell. I didn't know what was going on. Turned out the outside was cooked, the inside was completely raw. I was able to put it back in the oven, and it cooked just fine, it was just really small since it had fell. I'm going to try again later.

I can't even explain as well as I would like the effect some of these blogs had on me. It really opened my eyes as to how to do things and manage things.

Ok, looks like the homeschooling thread will have to have it's own post...I'm off to bed!

0 comments: