Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pulled

Have you ever felt like you were meant to be somewhere, even if that somewhere is somewhere you have never been? Do I have you confused yet? 2 years ago we went up to South Dakota for our very first ever vacation. Chris and I were sitting around talking about going somewhere and he just blurted out, how about South Dakota. Neither one of us knew what was up there, he said it just came to him. When we looked into it more we saw that was where Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills, the Badlands, and Deadwood all were.

Honestly, we were looking for places to move to. We knew we wanted to go north and we knew we had to get away from where we were. So to South Dakota we went, looking for a place we might call home. Our trip was coming to an end and we were trying to figure out which church to go to. Since we were trying to find one as more than just visitors, we wanted to make sure that the church was sound. I was finally able to call around to some on Saturday when we stayed at a hotel in Rapid City. I called several, never getting in contact with any one. I was really hoping to talk with someone so our last Sunday there would be productive. I ended up calling one in a different city, not too far away but in the opposite direction as what we would be traveling to go home. On their answering machine was the number to one of the elders. So...I called him up. Unfortunate though, my phone kept cutting in and out but I was able to talk with him long enough to get his e-mail, so I could e-mail him my questions. It turned out they were a sound, conservative church. It took me a little while to convince Chris, since he didn't want to go int he opposite direction. I didn't give up and finally convinced him to go to this one instead of taking a blind shot at going to one in the town we were in. I didn't know why, but I just felt pulled to that church.

The church was great and the elder I spoke to over the phone invited us to lunch at his house. Now normally Chris would have politely declined and would have said he wanted to get on the road and get home. He always just wants to get the drive over with. But this time he actually accepted, much to my surprise. It turned out that lunch with this elder not only helped Chris realize that preaching school was an option, but that that church would also help support him during his school. Definitely WAY more than we were ever expecting. And I have no doubt God's hand was involved in that.

Well, I'm getting that feeling again. Chris has been in contact with an elder at a church for the last couple of years. It is in a state we have never been to, at a church we have never been to. Through conversations though we know they are a sound church. I knew it had been awhile since Chris sent him an e-mail so I decided to send him an update on our new addition as well as letting him know how school was going for Chris. I couldn't tell you what made me decide to email him since I, myself, have never spoken to him. It just felt like something I needed to do. Ever since though I just have this strong pull to go there. I know they have been looking for a preacher for a long time. Chris has sent him one of his recent sermons, just because he asked to hear it. He then let Chris know that if he is in the area this summer (which we won't be) that they would love to have him guest preach. I just can't shake this feeling though. I think Chris is going to contact him again at the beginning of next year, when he starts looking for jobs, to see if he can officially apply (if they are even still looking). Whether they have found a preacher or if they just don't want Chris, I think we are still going to go there next summer. For some reason I just know we need to meet that congregation. It will be on my mind for the next year too, which really stinks. I just don't know why I'm getting this feeling again, but it is just like it was up in South Dakota.

Have you guys ever had this happen? I feel like I'm going crazy. OK, maybe I am crazy.

1 comments:

Karen Riojas said...

I have had that happen, and what I have always held on to is the fact that when it's God's will, He will always make a way. The doors will open, and you'll be where you are supposed to be. Maybe he won't end up preaching there, but there could be some other reason, some other need, that gets revealed to you guys while you are there. I'll be praying that you get your answers soon! I hope, either way, God puts your family into a place where all of your needs, even the most minute, are met.